Senior Internal Auditor
JOB TITLE: Senior Internal Auditor
REPORTS TO: POTDC Board of Directors
PREPARED BY: Human Resources
PREPARED DATE: November 29, 2016
This position will create, manage and improve the Internal Audit department of this entity. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following: Create from scratch, an internal auditing protocol that detects errors in financial transaction processing and reporting, as well as gaps in operational and compliance controls and procedures; assess risks; analyze data and situations accurately; draw sound conclusions; write reports of audit conclusions, findings and recommendations; present outcomes to management and the Board of Directors; and document audit procedures and conclusions through working papers and retain evidence to support conclusions. The ideal candidate will have a background in auditing and accounting, as well as professional certification.
NOTE: Native American preference will be given
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create, perform, and manage Internal Audit Plan.
- Evaluate the design and effectiveness of existing financial, operational and compliance controls and provide recommendations to help the organization improve its operations and accomplish its objectives.
- Perform audits, reviews and consulting activities in compliance with IIA and applicable Gaming Industry standards as needed to identify and resolve risk-based vulnerabilities.
- Develop sufficient and effective audit programs to ensure adequate coverage of auditable areas.
- Hold internal client meetings to plan Internal Audit activities and to communicate results and recommendations.
- Maintain and manage a master inventory of businesses policies, practices and processes.
- Provide recommendations to financial management regarding software, policies and audit best practices.
- Provide financial management with considerations for financial disclosures.
- Interpret applicable federal, state, county and local laws, regulations, and requirements.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the general tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Office and General Ledger/Financial Reporting Packages.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and project management skills
- Passion, initiative and creativity skills preferred
- Must be able to work various and irregular shifts including nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, and obtain and maintain a gaming license from the Pueblo of Tesuque Gaming Commission.
No supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years’ experience in Internal Auditing
- CPA or CIA certification
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Solid understanding of auditing concepts and best practices, accounting principles and procedures, and Gaming Industry standards
NOTE: Native American preference will be given
- High Integrity
- Positive Attitude
- Leads by Example
- Non-Bias approach to all situations
- Performance Driven
Using the primary language identified as English, the following are required:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Bilingual a plus; at a minimum, the ability to understand and be understood to all Spanish speaking individuals
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, and work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Must be able to obtain and maintain gaming license from the Pueblo of Tesuque Gaming Commission.
While performing the duties of this job, the Employee will be required to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. The Employee is required to kneel, bend, squat, stoop, crouch, climb and crawl. The Employee will use fingers and hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, perform repetitive motions with fingers while using a keyboard, mouse and other equipment and must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to twenty-five (25) lbs. The Employee must be able to talk and hear in an environment with varying noise levels, see close, distant and colors, and smell and taste. Requires working in an environment with exposure to smoke, high noise level and temperature changes.
Work is generally performed in an office and Casino setting with exposure to second-hand smoke and a high noise level. Evening and/or weekends, holidays, extended hours, and irregular shifts will be required.