IT Network Engineer
JOB TITLE: Information Technology (IT) Network Engineer/ Administrator
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
REPORTS TO: Director of Information Technology
PREPARED BY: Human Resources
PREPARED DATE: August 12, 2017
The IT Network Engineer/Administrator role is to ensure the stability and integrity of in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services. This is achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization.
Note: Native American preference will be given
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively plans, designs, and develops local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization to ensure the stability of all in-house voice, data, video, and wireless network services.
- Establishes network policies and procedures.
- Benchmarks, analyzes, reports on, and makes recommendations for the improvement on in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services.
- Leads the IT Department’s network planning, including fostering planning projects, and organizing and negotiating the allocation of resources.
- Oversees provision of network services.
- Works with stakeholders to define network requirements for new technology implementations.
- Assists in managing financial aspects of the IT Department; including purchasing, budgeting, and budget review.
- Develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Negotiates and administers network related vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements.
- Manages IT network staffing; including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions.
- Designs and deploys LANs, WANs, MANs and wireless networks, including servers, routers, hubs, switches, UPSs, and other hardware.
- Configures networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Monitors network performance and troubleshoots problem areas as needed.
- Collaborates with Executive management and department leaders to assess near and long-term network capacity needs.
- Creates and maintains documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Oversees installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
- Ensures network connectivity of all servers, workstations, telephone equipment, fax machines, and other network appliances.
- Manages servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated operating systems and software.
- Develops, implements and maintains policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
- Conducts research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
- Practices network asset management; including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Monitors and tests network performance and provides network performance statistics and reports.
- Oversees new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
- Participates in managing all network security solutions.
- Performs server and security audits, and system backups and recovery.
- Interacts and negotiates with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
- Install computer networks such as local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), the Internet, intranets, and other data communications systems.
- Other duties as required
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the general tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
This is a supervisory level position responsible for the effective direction and support of subordinate network analysts and PC /I.T. Technicians.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year College or University in a computer related field.
- Eight years related work experience with three to five years related work experience in Casino, Hospitality and/or Entertainment industry or other high volume, highly regulated, complex, demanding customer oriented IT environment.
- Certifications in Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Wireshark Certified Network Analyst (WCNA), Cisco Certified Internet Expert (CCIE) and/or, other related technical certification desirable.
- Proven experience and success with LAN, WAN, MAN and WLAN design and implementation.
- Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
- In-depth technical knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems.
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to read, write and understand technical manuals, CAD drawings/blueprints, procedural documentation and OEM guides.
- Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be on call 24/7 and will be required to sit and stand for prolonged periods of time. The Employee is required to kneel, bend, squat, walk, and remain mobile for prolonged periods of time. The Employee will use fingers, hands and arms to conduct repetitious movements and tasks such as operating a computer keyboard, mouse power tools and other computer components, and must be able to lift computers and peripherals weighing up to fifty (50) lbs.
The Employee must be able to talk and hear in an environment with varying noise levels. Requires working in an environment with exposure to smoke. Must be able to work various shifts per week.